Making your own DIY Fabric Softener is the one of the best things you can switch out for better health.
Off the Shelf Fabric Softener Dangers
Fabric softeners are one of the most unnecessary dangerous chemicals that you may be using in your home, and it’s important that you stop right away.
There are much better, safer, all natural alternatives that will keep you, your family, and the environment safe.
Really, we have no reason to have ever invented such a toxic product in the first place.
As described by Enrich Gifts – Although fabric softeners may make your clothes feel soft and smell fresh, fabric softener are one of the most toxic products around.
“And chances are that the staggering 99.8 percent of Americans who use common commercial detergents, fabric softeners, bleaches, and stain removers would think twice if they knew they contained chemicals that could cause cancer and brain damage.”
Chemicals found in Fabric Softeners
Here is a list of just some of the chemicals found in fabric softeners:
- Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
- Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
- Ethanol: On the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
- Limonene: Known carcinogen
- A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
- Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list
- Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
- Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
- Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
- Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled
Health Impacts from Chemicals
Fabric softeners are made to stay in your clothing for long periods of time. As such, chemicals are slowly released either into the air for you to inhale or onto your skin for you to absorb. Health effects from being exposed to the chemicals in fabric softeners include:
- Central nervous system disorders
- Blood pressure reduction
- Irritation to skin, mucus membranes and respiratory tract
- Pancreatic cancer
I know from the list above that fabric softeners are not what people think they are.
All this should be enough reason for you to stop using store bought fabric softeners and make your own DIY Fabric Softener.
How to make Fabric Softener
What you will need:
- White Vinegar
- doTERRA Lavender Essential Oils (can use others also)
How to do it:
- Place 20 drops of doTERRA Lavender Essential Oil in a glass bottle and top with white vinegar
- Shake bottle before use
- Add 1/2 cup to your softener cycle
How to find Quality Essential Oils for my DIY Fabric Softener
Finding quality essential oils can be difficult and it took me a lot of time and energy to find the best brand available on the market.
I personally use doTERRA because they are the most pure, unadulterated essential oils available. They hide nothing and offer their clients 100% transparency which no other company does. You can read more about why I choose doTERRA here.
In order to get your hands on these oils, you can purchase them at 25% off by following the link below…
Hope you enjoy making this great natural fabric softener.