Using a diffuser is a beautiful way to gain the therapeutic benefits of the oils aromatically!
Aromatic Use of Essential Oils
When we use your essential oils aromatically we experience the aroma of the essential oil through the air. Inhaling or breathing in the aroma allows the essential oil molecules to interact with the mind and body.
One of my most favourite ways of using my essential oils is diffusing them throughout our home with our diffusers. Not only does it make your home smell amazing (trust me you’ll get lots of comments from your visitors) there are also some amazing benefits.
The Power of Scent
Our smell sense is a powerful tool and can produce significant mental, emotional and physiological responses depending on how different aromas react with our brain.
As aromatic compounds, essential oils have the ability to disperse through the air quickly. Essential oils interact with chemical sensors in the brain, thus creating a response. When using essential oils aromatically, the scent travels through the nose to the olfactory system where it is processed and then travels through the olfactory nerve to the limbic system. Once in the limbic system, the scent triggers responses in the brain based on memories and experiences.
As we breathe in the scent of essential oils, it triggers specific reactions based on our own individual emotions, behaviours, memories, and experiences. This is why aromatic use is such a big part of mood management – reactions in the brain cause physiological reactions that can alter and improve mood.
Whether you need to stabilize your emotions, calm anxious feelings, promote feelings of motivation, or encourage relaxation, there is an essential oil (or combination of oils) with the perfect chemical components to help you manage your mood quickly and effectively.
This is where we can talk about the EMOTIONAL WELLNESS STARTER PACK which is super popular and often the second purchase most customers make as it complements the enrolment starter packs so well.
Balance – Grounding Anxiety/Overwhelm Blend
Lavender Peace – Calming Restful Blend
Citrus Bliss – Invigorating Happy Blend
Elevation – Joyful Energising Blend
What is your desired mood?
Other uses and benefits
- Purify the air in your home or workplace
- Help maintain feelings of clear breathing and open airways
- Minimize the effects of seasonal threats
- Replace your perfume with an essential oil blend – you become a walking diffuser that your loved one’s experience & reap the benefits as well
Your FREE Diffuser E-book
We have created a diffuser e-book to take the guess work out for you. It includes the common diffuser blends we use in the home with the family.
You can download your free copy here
Diffusing essential oils is one of the easiest yet most effective ways for you to experience the aromatic benefits of your favourite essential oil. Over time, your diffuser will develop an oil buildup that potentially can prevent it from working properly, so it is important to understand how to use and take care of it. Here are a few tips that will help you have the best aromatic experience and extend the life of your doTERRA diffuser.
Quick Clean After Every Use
- Make sure to unplug your diffuser prior to cleaning.
- When removing excess water from the water tank, pour from the rear of the diffuser to avoid spilling on the operating buttons.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the inside of your diffuser
- Rinse and dry.
Deep Clean Every Month
- Fill your diffuser half way with clean water.
- Add 10 drops of white vinegar.
- Let the diffuser run for about 15 minutes to allow the water-vinegar mixture to disperse throughout the unit and clean it.
- Drain the diffuser completely.
- Using a cotton swab dipped in vinegar, clean the tight spots and corners of the diffuser.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe the diffuser and dry it thoroughly.
Handy Hint – Use a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to wipe the ultrasonic mist chip found inside the water tank.
My Favourite Diffuser Blend Combinations
Here are a few of our favourite combos for you to start with in your diffuser!
- Lavender and frankincense is a beautiful combination. It’s very tranquil and calming.
- Lemon and peppermint is an uplifting blend and you will be energized from this one.
- OnGuard is a great one for the diffuser when there are bad bugs looming or family members are sick.
- Tea tree and lemon give you that fresh clean house smell.
Once you have played with a few different combos you will start to learn the smells that work well together and the smells you are drawn too.
What diffuser blends others love
A few fellow oily lovers have kindly shared their favourite diffuser blends with us:
Georgina Street – “My favourite diffuser blend at the moment is bergamot and patchouli (equal parts). Adding a drop of White Fir would also work nicely with this.”
Kellie Smith – “I really enjoy sandalwood, rosemary, geranium and lavender for uplifting mood. It’s a really lovely blend!”
Melissa Stone – Melissa talks to me about how lavender and cedarwood in her diffuser beside the bed at night has really helped with her sleeping. “Working shift work is difficult on the body and I have been able to cut my sleeping pill use in half since I started using the oils. They have really made a difference.”
Debbie Griffin – “I love diffusing geranium, lavender peace and balance in my diffuser they seem to be the ones I am drawn to at the moment. Geranium is great for emotional support, balance is so grounding and lavender peace is very calming. They make such a beautiful combination.”
Clay Esler – “I enjoy 2 drops Arborvitae, 2 drops Cedarwood, 2 drops Balance, 2 drops Cypress, 1 drop citrus bliss and 1 drop Ylang Ylang. This is a wonderful relaxing combination.”
Elizabeth Siebel – “I really love diffusing OnGuard in the home it smells so good. I really enjoy it! OnGuard when diffused will help eliminate the bad bugs in the air and help cleanse the environment. OnGuard is also fantastic for boosting the immune system as it contains lots of antioxidant properties.”
Purchasing your own Diffuser
doTERRA currently have a cute range of diffusers:
- dōTERRA Petal Diffuser 2.0
- Lumo Diffuser
- doTERRA Koala diffuser
- Pilōt™ Malachite Portable Diffuser (great for the car)
If you are interested in getting your own diffuser and maybe some essential oils to support your emotional and physical wellbeing we can help you. You can become a wholesale customer and receive a 25% discount on all products that you purchase through your wholesale account.